- Day 1 is a 1) ladder workout followed by 2) 2-3 agility drills, typically done with the team or pod or before a practice.
- When doing workouts together, always do agility ladder first, followed by agility drills, then speed exercises, and conditioning last to preserve fast-twitch muscle tissue.
Agility Ladder Drills
- Do a full warm-up with a dynamic portion and simple ladder exercises.
- Complete each exercise once all the way through the ladder and jog back to starting position; switch starting legs each rep (e.g. start with right foot, turn right, then turn left when starting with left foot).
- Always start slowly to learn proper technique, then increase to maximal speed after mastering motions.
- Use quick, purposeful steps, putting force into the ground and minimizing ground contact time. Keep the chest over or slightly ahead of the feet at all times.
- For a challenge try looking up instead of at your feet, or go backwards instead of forwards.
Complete x 4 reps of each exercise, alternating starting legs; rest in x 10-30’’ between reps, or complete drills in groups of 3 or 4.
In-Out Shuffle (Forwards) (Not shown in picture)
- Start facing an agility ladder forwards (not shown in picture).
- Step with one foot at a time into the first rung, then step OUTSIDE the next rung with both feet.
- Continue alternating inside the rung/outside the rung with both feet.
In-Out Shuffle (Lateral)
- Start facing an agility ladder sideways on your right (as shown in picture).
- Step into the first rung with the right foot and then the left foot, then immediately back out behind the next rung.
- Step into the rung you just stepped outside of, and continue down the ladder sideways, alternating both feet out and both feet in each rung.
- Start on the left side of the ladder facing forward
- ·Step laterally with the right foot into the first square, then place the left foot inside the first square
- Step laterally again with the right foot to the outside of the ladder, then advance the left foot into the next square of the ladder
- Bring the right foot inside the square with the left foot, then step laterally with the left foot to the left side (outside) of the ladder
- Step laterally with the right foot to the next square, bringing the left foot to meet it inside the square, then step with the right foot to the outside of the next square, etc.
- Complete workouts after a general & dynamic warm-up.
- Set up cones for each drill.
- Complete sets and reps as indicated, staying low during transitions.
- Rest x ~3-5’ (minutes) between sets.
Drill #1: Hexagon Drill
- Start standing on one leg in the middle of the hexagon, with the hips facing the forward cone (complete the entire drill facing the same direction).
- Begin hopping toward the spaces between cones in a clockwise direction as indicated above, always hopping back to the center before moving on the to the next space. Once reaching the starting position, immediately begin hopping in a counterclockwise direction (back to middle each time).
- Immediately switch feet and repeat one complete circle in each direction = 1 rep (6 jumps clockwise + 5 counterclockwise on RIGHT + 6 jumps counterclockwise + 5 jumps clockwise = 1 rep).
Drill #2: 40-yard Square Drill with Side Shuffle and Carioca
- Start at the bottom right cone, sprint to the top right cone.
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the top left cone.
- Backpedal to the back left cone.
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the bottom right cone.
PRO TIP: Attack each cone in acceleration position, then decelerate as hard as you accelerated, using the arms held firmly at the sides at 90 degree to assist in balance. Change directions in 1 step, with a low, balanced body position and quick, smooth transitions.
Drill #3: 40-yard shuttle with Disc*
- Sprint x 5 yards to the first cone, and make a sharp cut.
- Sprint x 5 yards back to the starting cone.
- Sprint x 10 yards to the 2nd cone.
- Sprint x 10 yards back to the starting cone.
- Sprint x 5 yards to the 1st cone.
- Sprint x 5 yards back to the starting cone.
*Catch a disc from a partner on the return to starting line each turn.
*PRO TIP: Make a sharp cut AT the cone for each change of direction, staying low and with the hips perpendicular to the cones during the turn, then turn in one step to sprint back to the next cone (this drill is a short suicide, so focus on anticipating the turns and hard acceleration and deceleration).
- Day 2 workouts are Speed III (with strength and power components), and conditioning workouts on your own.
- For Speed III workouts, set up cones at 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 yards
- Complete exercises down and back x 20 yards unless otherwise indicated.
- Complete x 2 sets of exercises unless when combined with an agility or power, or conditioning workout (do only 1 set)
- Rest ~10-20’’ between exercises
- Rest ~2-3 minutes between sets
- For Conditioning workouts, set out cones at the distances indicated, with a designated starting line.
- Sprint the distance all the way through the line and come to a complete stop.
- Keep good posture while running, drive knees and accelerate through the end.
- Rest as instructed, regulate breathing through abdomen and focus on recovery.
- If necessary, intervals of equal intensity and time may also be done on a bike, rower, elliptical, swimming, running, or any other approved cardiovascular activity.
- Acceleration marches in Push-up position
- 4 x 4s
- Gears (no video)
- 1-2-3 Jumps x 10 (E.g. x 5 out, x 5 back, alternate legs)
- Ins and Outs (no video)
- Single-leg Bounding
- Skips for distance
- Skips for height
x 1-2 Sets
- Set up 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- Run a varying speeds between the 5 cones, learning to accelerate and shift between speeds (gears)
- For example, think of speed as 5 gears, 5th gear being the fastest, and change gears at each cone in a pre-determined order by the coach, captain, or workout participant.
- Change the order of the gears to any order you wish, and repeat on the way back to start.
- Down and back=1 rep (E.g. 2-4-5-1 on way down, 3-5-1-4 on way back)
Ins & Outs:
- Space out 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- In the distance spanning the first 2 cones (40 yards), accelerate to submaximal speed
- At cone 3, try to break speed record
- At cone 4, reduce intensity, but maintain frequency
- Jog back to the starting line
*Set up cones at 0 and 80, and 120 yards.
- Sprint x 80 yards
- x 8 reps
- Rest x 45’’ b/n reps
- Extra 90’’ rest after 5
- Sprint x 120 yards
- Jog back to starting position in 30’’
- Rest x 30’’
- x 3 reps total
Rest 5’ between sets
Suggested Times (for conditioning and speed endurance, not absolute speed):
- 80s (~8-10 sec)
- 100s (~12-14 sec)
- 120s (~15-20 sec)