- Day 1 is a 1) ladder workout followed by 2) 2-3 agility drills, typically done with the team or pod or before a practice.
- When doing workouts together, always do agility ladder first, followed by agility drills, then speed exercises, and conditioning last to preserve fast-twitch muscle tissue.
Agility Ladder Drills
- Do a full warm-up with a dynamic portion and simple ladder exercises.
- Complete each exercise once all the way through the ladder and jog back to starting position; switch starting legs each rep (e.g. start with right foot, turn right, then turn left when starting with left foot).
- Always start slowly to learn proper technique, then increase to maximal speed after mastering motions.
- Use quick, purposeful steps, putting force into the ground and minimizing ground contact time. Keep the chest over or slightly ahead of the feet at all times.
- For a challenge try looking up instead of at your feet, or go backwards instead of forwards.
- For ‘With Reaction’: Set up 2 cones ~45 degrees ~10 yards to the left and to the right. Have a partner stand between the 2 cones about ~10 yards back from the cones. As the player reaches the end of the ladder, the partner reacts to a pass thrown to the cone on the right or left (to meet the disc AT the cone).
Complete x 4 reps of each exercise, alternating starting legs; rest in x 10-30’’ between reps, or complete drills in groups of 3 or 4.
In-Out Shuffle (Lateral)
- Start facing an agility ladder sideways on your right (as shown in picture).
- Step into the first rung with the right foot and then the left foot, then immediately back out behind the next rung.
- Step into the rung you just stepped outside of, and continue down the ladder sideways, alternating both feet out and both feet in each rung.
- PRO TIP: Use the arms held by the sides at 90 degrees to balance and help put force into the ground. Arms should move with the legs as in running.
Icky Shuffle (Forwards)
- Start on the left side of the ladder facing forward
- Step laterally with the right foot into the first square, then place the left foot inside the first square
- Step laterally again with the right foot to the outside of the ladder, then advance the left foot into the next square of the ladder
- Bring the right foot inside the square with the left foot, then step laterally with the left foot to the left side (outside) of the ladder
- Step laterally with the right foot to the next square, bringing the left foot to meet it inside the square, then step with the right foot to the outside of the next square, etc.
Icky Shuffle (Backwards)
Repeat the Icky Shuffle pattern backwards
Hop Scotch Drill
Start facing the ladder with both feet outside the first rung
Jump with both feet into the first square, then immediately jump with both feet to the outside of the next square
Continue jumping with both feet to the inside of the next square, etc.
- Complete workouts after a general & dynamic warm-up.
- Set up cones for each drill.
- Complete sets and reps as indicated, staying low during transitions.
- Rest x ~3-5’ (minutes) between sets.
Drill #1: 20-yard Square Drill with Side Shuffle & Carioca
- Start at the bottom right cone, sprint to the top right cone
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the top left cone
- Backpedal to the back left cone
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the bottom right cone
*On each change of direction, decelerate as hard as you accelerated, anticipate the change, and change direction in 1 step.
Drill #2: H-Pattern
- Start at the middle of the H on the left, and sprint forward to the top left cone.
- Backpedal back to the starting cone.
- Side shuffle the right middle cone.
- Sprint to the top right of the H.
- Backpedal past the middle cone to the bottom right cone of the H and sprint back to the middle right cone
- Sprint forward to the middle right cone.
- Side shuffle left to the middle left cone.
- Backpedal back to the bottom left cone (END)
Drill #3: 55-yard Sprint to Backpedal
- Start facing the line of cones.
- Sprint forward x 10 yards
- Backpedal x 5 yards
4-8. Continue sprinting forward x 10 and backpedaling x 5 yards. End on the last 10-yard sprint (Total = 55 yards)
- Day 2 workouts are Speed III (with strength and power components), and conditioning workouts on your own.
- For Speed III workouts, set up cones at 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 yards
- Complete exercises down and back x 20 yards unless otherwise indicated.
- Complete x 2 sets of exercises unless when combined with an agility or power, or conditioning workout (do only 1 set)
- Rest ~10-20’’ between exercises
- Rest ~2-3 minutes between sets
- For Conditioning workouts, set out cones at the distances indicated, with a designated starting line.
- Sprint the distance all the way through the line and come to a complete stop.
- Keep good posture while running, drive knees and accelerate through the end.
- Rest as instructed, regulate breathing through abdomen and focus on recovery.
- If necessary, intervals of equal intensity and time may also be done on a bike, rower, elliptical, swimming, running, or any other approved cardiovascular activity.
- Acceleration marches in Push-up position
- 4 x 4s
- Gears (no video)
- 1-2-3 Jumps x 10 (E.g. x 5 out, x 5 back, alternate legs)
- Ins and Outs (no video)
- Single-leg Bounding
- Skips for distance
- Skips for height
x 1-2 Sets
- Set up 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- Run a varying speeds between the 5 cones, learning to accelerate and shift between speeds (gears)
- For example, think of speed as 5 gears, 5th gear being the fastest, and change gears at each cone in a pre-determined order by the coach, captain, or workout participant.
- Change the order of the gears to any order you wish, and repeat on the way back to start.
- Down and back=1 rep (E.g. 2-4-5-1 on way down, 3-5-1-4 on way back)
Ins & Outs:
- Space out 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- In the distance spanning the first 2 cones (40 yards), accelerate to submaximal speed
- At cone 3, try to break speed record
- At cone 4, reduce intensity, but maintain frequency
- Jog back to the starting line
*Set up cones at 0 & 50 yards
- Sprint out and back x 50 yards x 3 (300-yard shuttle)
- Rest x 90’’
- x 3 reps
Suggested Times, 300-yard shuttle (for conditioning and speed endurance, not absolute speed):
- Excellent – 60 seconds or less
- Great – 70 seconds or less
- Good – 80 seconds or less
- Standard – 85 seconds or less