- Day 1 is a 1) ladder workout followed by 2) 2-3 agility drills, typically done with the team or pod or before a practice.
- When doing workouts together, always do agility ladder first, followed by agility drills, then speed exercises, and conditioning last to preserve fast-twitch muscle tissue.
Agility Ladder Drills
- Do a full warm-up with a dynamic portion and simple ladder exercises.
- Complete each exercise once all the way through the ladder and jog back to starting position; switch starting legs each rep (e.g. start with right foot, turn right, then turn left when starting with left foot).
- Always start slowly to learn proper technique, then increase speed as skill increases..
- Use quick, purposeful steps, putting force into the ground and minimizing ground contact time. Keep the chest over or slightly ahead of the feet at all times.
- For a challenge try looking up instead of at your feet, or go backwards instead of forwards.
Complete x 4 reps of each exercise, alternating starting legs; rest in x 10-30’’ between reps, or complete drills in groups of 3 or 4.
For ‘with Disc’, set up 2 cones ~5-10 yards to the right and left of the ladder at a diagonal. Have a partner stand ~15 yards away from the ladder, the next person in line call out ‘right’ or ‘left’ as the person reaches the end of the ladder, and touch the cone on that side to complete the rep.
Crossover Shuffle with Disc
- Start standing with the ladder to your right.
- Cross over with the left foot to the first square of the ladder.
- Laterally step with the right foot to the right side of the ladder.
- Immediately cross over with the right foot to the second square of the ladder.
- Laterally step with the left foot to the left side of the ladder, and repeat.
- With Reaction: At the end of the ladder, react to a throw to the right or left.
NOTE: Only 1 foot is in the ladder at any one time; you will have to shift weight as quickly as possible to lift foot outside the ladder for the crossover step.
Snake Jumps with Disc
- Start in a two-point stance, straddling one side of the ladder facing forwards.
- Keeping both feet together, perform a series of quarter-turn jumps.
- Do a hop with a right turn on both feet and straddle the first rung (facing sideways now the ladder to the left).
- Do a hop with a left turn to straddle the right side of the ladder facing forwards.
- Do a hop with another left turn to straddle the next rung facing sideways (ladder to your right now).
- Continue the quarter-turn hopping jumps through the end of the ladder.
Bunny Hops with Reaction
- Start in a 2-point stance facing the ladder
- Hop with both feet through the ladder with both feet
- Stay on the balls of feet, and make sure to hit exactly at the same time
- Keep the chest over the feet and use quick, powerful ground contacts
- Complete workouts after a general & dynamic warm-up.
- Set up cones for each drill.
- Complete sets and reps as indicated, staying low during transitions.
- Rest x ~3-5’ (minutes) between sets.
Drill #1: Star Drill with Sprint, Backpedal, Side Shuffle
- Start at the bottom right cone,
- Sprint to the middle cone
- Backpeal back to starting cone
- Side shuffle (facing the square) to the top right cone
- Sprint to the middle cone
- Backpedal back (crawl on the hands and feet with the knees extended)
- Side shuffle to the top left cone
- Sprint to the middle
- Backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the bottom left cone
- Sprint to the middle and
- Backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the starting cone, END
Drill #2: 5-Cone Snake Drill
- Start at the first cone, sprint x 5 yards and back (10 yards)
- Sprint x 10 yards and back (20 yards)
- Sprint x 15 yards and back (30 yards)
- Sprint x 20 yards and back (40 yards)
- Make sharp cuts with the feet shoulder width apart, hips turned perpendicular to the line, and a slight shin angle
- Plant off the outside foot AT the line, and drive the knee up to put more force into the ground and accelerate out of each cut.
- Decelerate as hard as you accelerated to change directions. Keep the chest over the feet during turns, and turn 180 degrees in 1 step.
SPEED IV & CONDITIONING II
- For Speed IV workouts*, set up cones at 0 and ~25 yards
- Complete exercises over specified distance there and back unless otherwise indicated.
- For hurdles, set up 8 hurdles, 8-12 inches apart, or use tall cones.
- Rest ~10-30 seconds between exercises, extra 30’’ rest every 3 exercises
- Rest ~2-3 minutes between sets
*NOTE: You will need a set of 8 hurdles, 4-12 inches tall for this workout.
- For Conditioning workouts, set out cones at stated distances.
- Complete shuttles down and back for the number of reps indicated.
- Keep good posture while running, drive knees up, and regulate breathing through the abdomen.
- If necessary, intervals of equal intensity and time may also be done on a bike, rower, elliptical, swimming, running, or any other approved cardiovascular activity.
SPEED IV Workout
- Wall Slides
- Hurdle or Cone Single-leg Run-Through
- Hurdle or Cone Run-Through
- Hurdle or Cone Fast Legs
- Falling Starts
- Moye Starts, 4-point
- Moye Starts, 3-point
- Basic 40-yard model
- Toe Walks
- Heel Walks
*Set up cones at 0 and 25 yards; Rest x 2-3’ (minutes) between sets.
- Sprint out and back x 25 yards x 3 (150-yard shuttle) in ~30 seconds
- Rest x 30’’
- x 3 reps = 1 set
- x 6 sets total
Suggested Times, 150-yard shuttle (for conditioning and speed endurance, not absolute speed):
- Excellent – 28 seconds or less
- Great – 30 seconds or less
- Good – 32 seconds or less
- Standard – 35 seconds or less