- Day 1 is a 1) ladder workout followed by 2) 2-3 agility drills, typically done with the team or pod or before a practice.
- When doing workouts together, always do agility ladder first, followed by agility drills, then speed exercises, and conditioning last to preserve fast-twitch muscle tissue.
Agility Ladder Drills
- Do a full warm-up with a dynamic portion and simple ladder exercises.
- Complete each exercise once all the way through the ladder and jog back to starting position; switch starting legs each rep (e.g. start with right foot, turn right, then turn left when starting with left foot).
- Always start slowly to learn proper technique, then increase speed as skill increases..
- Use quick, purposeful steps, putting force into the ground and minimizing ground contact time. Keep the chest over or slightly ahead of the feet at all times.
- For a challenge try looking up instead of at your feet, or go backwards instead of forwards.
Complete x 4 reps of each exercise, alternating starting legs; rest in x 10-30’’ between reps, or complete drills in groups of 3 or 4.
For ‘with Reaction’, set up 2 cones ~5-10 yards to the right and left of the ladder at a diagonal. Have the next person in line call out 'right' or 'left' as you approach the end of the ladder. Sprint and touch one of the cones with the outside hand (i.e. right hand if you went to the right).
Icky Shuffle (Backwards) with Reaction
Repeat the icky shuffle pattern backwards
Sprint to the right or left cone to catch a disc as you approach the end of the ladder.
Crossover Shuffle with Reaction
- Start standing with the ladder to your right.
- Cross over with the left foot to the first square of the ladder.
- Laterally step with the right foot to the right side of the ladder.
- Immediately cross over with the right foot to the second square of the ladder.
- Laterally step with the left foot to the left side of the ladder, and repeat.
- For 'with Disc', sprint to the right or left cone to catch a disc as you approach the end of the ladder.
NOTE: Only 1 foot is in the ladder at any one time; you will have to shift weight as quickly as possible to lift foot outside the ladder for the crossover step.
Chubby Checkers with Reaction
- Start in a 2-point stance facing sideways behind the first rung with the ladder to your right
- Jump with both feet to the next square so that the feet are straddling (one foot in and one foot outside the ladder) the right side of the ladder with the hips facing forward 45 degrees
- Jump sideways to the outside of the next rung with both feet, with the hips facing completely sideways again (ladder to your right)
- Continue jumping outside the ladder facing sideways then one foot in, then one foot out facing 45 degrees on the next rung
- Alternate starting directions each rep (i.e. start with ladder facing to your left on Rep #2)
Skiers with Reaction
- Start in an athletic position facing the ladder with the arms by the sides at 90 degrees. Bend the left leg until the thigh is parallel to the ground and jump to the right side of the next rung as high and far as possible (to the side).
- Land on the right leg and jump to the other side of the ladder as high and far as possible, landing on the left leg next to the next rung.
- Continue jumping and landing next to each rung (alternating sides) until the end of the ladder in an athletic position with a rhythmic motion, landing softly and exploding out of each jump.
- For 'with disc', sprint to the right or left cone to catch a disc as you approach the end of the ladder.
- Complete workouts after a general & dynamic warm-up.
- Set up cones for each drill.
- Complete sets and reps as indicated, staying low during transitions.
- For 'with Disc', have a partner stand about ~15 yards back from the starting line, and toss the disc to your partner during the drill as instructed.
- Rest x ~3-5’ (minutes) between sets.
Drill #1: Square Drill with Sprint, Backpedal, Side Shuffle
- Set up 4 cones in a 10 x 10 square with a 5th cone in the middle
- Start at the bottom right cone, sprint to the middle cone, and backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the top right cone, sprint to the middle cone and backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the top left cone, sprint to the middle and backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the bottom left cone, sprint to the middle and backpedal back
- Side shuffle to the starting cone, END
Drill #2: 5-cone Snake Drill
- Set up 4 cones in a square with 10 yards between each cone, labeled cones 1-4 starting on the bottom right, and a 5th cone in the middle of the square
- Start in a ready position between cones #1 and #2 on the right side of the square
- Sprint forward around cone #1, then sprint diagonally to cone #5 in the middle, then to cone #3 (top left)
- Sprint around cone #3 to cone #4 (bottom left), then sprint around cone #4 to cone #5 in the middle
- Sprint around cone #5 back to cone #1, then sprint around cone #2 to end halfway between cones 1 and 2
Drill #3: 60-yard shuttle with Disc
- Start at the first cone, sprint x 5 yards and back (10 yards)
- Sprint x 10 yards and back (20 yards)
- Sprint x 15 yards and back (30 yards)
- For 'with Disc', have a partner stand ~15 yards back from the starting line, and catch a disc each time you are turn back to the starting line. Pass the disc back to the partner, and continue the drill.
*Make sharp cuts with the feet shoulder width apart, hips turned perpendicular to the line, and a slight shin angle
*Plant off the outside foot AT the line, and drive the knee up to put more force into the ground and accelerate out of each cut.
*Decelerate as hard as you accelerated to change directions. Keep the chest over the feet during turns, and turn 180 degrees in 1 step.
SPEED IV & CONDITIONING II
- For Speed IV workouts*, set up cones at 0 and ~25 yards
- Complete exercises over specified distance there and back unless otherwise indicated.
- For hurdles, set up 8 hurdles, 8-12 inches apart, or use tall cones.
- Rest ~10-30 seconds between exercises, extra 30’’ rest every 3 exercises
- Rest ~2-3 minutes between sets
*NOTE: You will need a set of 8 hurdles, 4-12 inches tall for this workout.
- For Conditioning workouts, set out cones at stated distances.
- Complete shuttles down and back for the number of reps indicated.
- Keep good posture while running, drive knees up, and regulate breathing through the abdomen.
- If necessary, intervals of equal intensity and time may also be done on a bike, rower, elliptical, swimming, running, or any other approved cardiovascular activity.
SPEED IV Workout
- Wall Slides
- Hurdle or Cone Single-leg Run-Through
- Hurdle or Cone Run-Through
- Hurdle or Cone Fast Legs
- Falling Starts
- Moye Starts, 4-point
- Moye Starts, 3-point
- Basic 40-yard model
- Toe Walks
- Heel Walks
*Set up cones at 0 and 25 yards; Rest x 2-3’ (minutes) between sets.
- Sprint out and back x 25 yards x 3 (150-yard shuttle) in ~30 seconds
- Rest x 30’
- x 3 = 1 set
- x 5 sets total
Suggested Times, 150-yard shuttle (for conditioning and speed endurance, not absolute speed):
- Excellent – 28 seconds or less
- Great – 30 seconds or less
- Good – 32 seconds or less
- Standard – 35 seconds or less