Day 1 is a 1) ladder workout followed by 2) 2-3 agility drills, typically done with the team or pod or before a practice.
Agility Ladder Drills
- Do a full warm-up with a dynamic portion and simple ladder exercises.
- Complete each exercise once all the way through the ladder and jog back to starting position; switch starting legs each rep (e.g. start with right foot, turn right, then turn left when starting with left foot).
- Always start slowly to learn proper technique, then increase to maximal speed after mastering motions.
- Use quick, purposeful steps, putting force into the ground and minimizing ground contact time. Keep the chest over or slightly ahead of the feet at all times.
- For a challenge try looking up instead of at your feet, or go backwards instead of forwards.
Complete x 4 reps of each exercise, alternating starting legs; rest in x 10-30’’ between reps, or complete drills in groups of 3 or 4.
Ladder Stride Run
- Start facing an agility ladder forwards.
- Run through the ladder as fast as possible, touching one foot down per rung.
- Emphasize upright posture, and proper arm and leg mechanics.
- Switch starting legs each rep.
PRO TIP: Use the arms held by the sides at 90 degrees to balance and help put force into the ground. Arms should move with the legs as in running.
Ladder Speed Run
- Start facing an agility ladder forwards.
- Run through the ladder, touching BOTH feet in each rung.
- Emphasize lifting the knee high and quick ground contacts.
- Use proper arm motion and upright posture.
In-Out Shuffle (Lateral)
- Start facing an agility ladder sideways on your right (as shown in picture).
- Step into the first rung with the right foot and then the left foot, then immediately back out behind the next rung.
- Step into the rung you just stepped outside of, and continue down the ladder sideways, alternating both feet out and both feet in each rung.
- Start on the left side of the ladder facing forward
- Step laterally with the right foot into the first square, then place the left foot inside the first square
- Step laterally again with the right foot to the outside of the ladder, then advance the left foot into the next square of the ladder
- Bring the right foot inside the square with the left foot, then step laterally with the left foot to the left side (outside) of the ladder
- Step laterally with the right foot to the next square, bringing the left foot to meet it inside the square, then step with the right foot to the outside of the next square, etc.
- Complete workouts after a general & dynamic warm-up.
- Set up cones for each drill.
- Complete all sets and reps of each drill before moving on to the next drill.
- Rest x ~3-5’ (minutes) between sets.
Drill #2: 30-yard T-Drill
- Start at the bottom cone, sprint to the top cone
- Side shuffle to the right x 5 yards
- Side shuffle to the left x 10 yards (past the intersection)
- Side shuffle right to the middle cone
- Backpedal to the starting cone
*Focus on a low body position and quick, smooth transitions. Anticipate each change of direction and decelerate with as much force as you accelerated to get up to speed. Make each change of direction AT the cone as much as possible, keeping arms held firmly at 90 degrees at all times.
- Start at the middle cone, facing one of the cones for odd reps and facing the line of cones on the even reps.
- For odd reps, sprint forward x 5 yards to the cone, backpedal x 10 yards to the far cone, and sprint forward through the start cone x 5 yards.
- For even reps, start facing the cones and do the same pattern, turning facing the cones; touch the line on each turn.
- Change starting side after 3 reps (and turn the other direction on rep 4)
*Anticipate and lean into transitions, directing momentum with the chest. Change direction in 1 hard step.
- Start at the bottom right cone, sprint to the top right cone
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the top left cone
- Backpedal to the back left cone
- Side shuffle OR carioca to the bottom right cone
*PRO TIP: Attack each cone in acceleration position, then decelerate as hard as you accelerated, using the arms held firmly at the sides at 90 degree to assist in balance. Change directions in 1 step, with a low, balanced body position and quick, smooth transitions.
Speed III & Conditioning I
- Day 2 workouts are Speed III (with strength and power components), and conditioning workouts on your own.
- For Speed III workouts, set up cones at 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 yards
- Complete exercises down and back x 20 yards unless otherwise indicated.
- Complete 2 sets of exercises unless when combined with an agility or power, or conditioning workout (do only 1 set)
- Rest ~10-20’’ between exercises
- Rest ~2-3 minutes between sets
- For Conditioning workouts, set out cones at the distances indicated, with a designated starting line.
- Sprint the distance all the way through the line and come to a complete stop.
- Keep good posture while running, drive knees and accelerate through the end.
- Rest as instructed, regulate breathing through abdomen and focus on recovery.
If necessary, intervals of equal intensity and time may also be done on a bike, rower, elliptical, swimming, running, or any other approved cardiovascular activity.
SPEED III Workout
Gears (no video)
1-2-3 Jumps x 10 (E.g. x 5 out, x 5 back, alternate legs)
Ins and Outs (no video)
- Set up 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- Run a varying speeds between the 5 cones, learning to accelerate and shift between speeds (gears)
- For example, think of speed as 5 gears, 5th gear being the fastest, and change gears at each cone in a pre-determined order by the coach, captain, or workout participant.
- Change the order of the gears to any order you wish, and repeat on the way back to start.
- Down and back=1 rep (E.g. 2-4-5-1 on way down, 3-5-1-4 on way back)
Ins & Outs:
- Space out 5 cones in a line at 20 yards apart
- In the distance spanning the first 2 cones (40 yards), accelerate to submaximal speed
- At cone 3, try to break speed record
- At cone 4, reduce intensity, but maintain frequency
- Jog back to the starting line
*Set up cones at 0, 80, and 120 yards.
- Sprint x 80 yards
- x 8 reps
- Rest x 45’’ b/n reps
- Rest an extra 90’’ after 4
- Sprint x 120 yards
- Jog back to starting position in 30’’
- Rest x 30’’
- x 3 reps total
Rest 5’ between sets
Suggested Times (for conditioning and speed endurance, not absolute speed):
- 80s (~8-10 sec)
- 100s (~12-14 sec)
- 120s (~15-20 sec)